Friday, January 24, 2020

Research and the world.


I have listened to several Ph.D. students present their research ideas over the last week. I find myself thinking, is that a good research topic? Can they develop that and get a line of research published (necessary for getting academic tenure.) Then I stop and think WGRA. WGRA was a term one of my English professors used. And yes, my supporting area for my Ph.D. was English. WGRA stands for Who Gives a Rat’s A** about that? When we write or do research, are we doing anything important? What impact will this make? What new way of thinking can we foster? What impact will our work have on the world? Having a longer world view than most of the students, I can say that I hope they complete their dissertations and get their Ph.Ds and find good jobs. I don’t think you will ever hear of them. I don’t think they will make an impact on this world. I think they will get married, raise children, and live good lives. Is there anything more important than that? Love and Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment