Wednesday, December 11, 2019

End of semester


Today is my last final exam for the semester. Three of the four classes have been graded, and the grades posted. There should have been no surprises, but there are always students that just woke up and realized they had not looked at their grades the entire semester. Oh, we were supposed to do the quizzes in the book? I never purchased the book. You also did not read the syllabus. Why should we read the syllabus? I saw that there was a quiz over the syllabus, but I did not do it. Can I do some extra credit? There was extra credit available, but the deadline for doing it was last week. I forgot to turn in some assignments. Can I turn them in now? No, there is no late, as stated in the syllabus that you did not read. I did not see that the file I turned in was corrupted and could not be opened. Can I send it to you and get a grade? That assignment was due four months ago, and the syllabus says that you have seven days after a grade is posted to appeal it. No, do not send me any assignments. The semester is over and your grade is posted. I will not change it. I know it sounds like I am harsh and a martinet. Please understand that I have 800 students across four sections. Many are first-semester freshmen. My class is the first core business class that the students take. My department chair calls it “the welcome to college class.” I love teaching, but it is time for a break and a renewal.

No comments:

Post a Comment