Wednesday, December 18, 2019

Editing Written Papers


I am back to feeling human again. I am back to editing. I am a comprehensive editor. There are three basic levels of editing, 1. Copyediting, 2. Proofreading, and 3. Comprehensive editing. Copyediting is your basic spell and grammar check on the written copy. The copy editor may also do a rewrite, if necessary, to fix problems this transitions, word use, and style. They may make a revision of the document. A proof reader reads the document after it is ready for publications. They look for minor errors in text and format. In order of difficulty, most people consider proofreading as the simplest task. Copy editing takes much more skill. Comprehensive editing (also known as substantive or structural or content editing) ensures that the structure of the document, content, language use, and presentation are appropriate for the intended purpose, publication route, and readership. A comprehensive editor incorporates the skills of the copy editor and proofreader. The comprehensive editor makes sure that the paper tells a clear and comprehensive story, that the paper flows, and it is easy to follow. Sounds easy enough, but you try it.

I review submitted papers for several information systems journals. If a paper is not well written (not copy edited), I reject it out. Don’t waste anyone’s time reading a paper that is full of errors. I suspect there are a number of people out there that hate me for the rejection. Resubmit after you get a proper copyediting of this work. As you might suspect, writers that do not have English as a first language have the largest problem, and should always have their work edited before submitting it.

I do comprehensive editing for my colleagues that are working to get tenure and need to publish in high level journals. As a professor of practice, I do not need to publish much research. My contribution to the research interests of my department is to get the junior faculty (without tenure) published so they can get tenure. In the last two years, three papers I edited were accepted at A+ level journals. Two others are under review. I just completed another paper this morning and am expecting one this afternoon. No, I do not charge faculty in my department for editing. I consider it a service. Outside our department is another story. And at $100 per hour, I still have requests for my service. Life is good.

I cannot leave this without thanking Dr. Angela Eaton, the best teacher of editing the English language.

No comments:

Post a Comment