Monday, February 3, 2020

False posts & Facebook.

I spent the last several days with my bride celebrating our 50th wedding anniversary. We enjoyed breakfasts, dinners, winery, and just being with each other. This took priority over my time and mind. Missing blog posts was not a priority. Driving back was an easy seven-hour drive. I spent most of the time listening to NPR. Even on NPR, the talk was centered around what is going on in Washington and Iowa. The deep divisions in the country sadden me.

Today I read that Steven King has left Facebook because of their continuing to accept targeted ads that are false. I agree with him, but leaving makes little difference with Facebook’s billions of subscribers. I came to the conclusion that it is better to stay and call out the falsehoods. I also expect to see several deepfakes this election season. Deepfakes are ads that have been digitally modified to make the person say something that they would never say. Google deepfakes, and you will learn more. Researchers are working to be able to identify deepfakes. Facebook has not agreed to delete the identified deepfakes. The youngest generation is not on Facebook. Perhaps we should all leave. What do you suppose its value would be with no subscribers. Wake up Facebook! Be honest and ethical!

No comments:

Post a Comment