Wednesday, February 19, 2020

What is happening in the economy?


Today was the career fair at OSU. There were fewer employers than normal. There were several cancellations. This observation was based on tables labeled for employers, but no one present. Also, several of the employers that hire many of our graduates were not present. This is not unusual because the hiring cycle is for most of the internships and full-time jobs to be filled in the fall of the year. The employers canceling is quite disconcerting, especially when they are a major vertically integrated oil company. The economic indicators have pointed in the direction of a recession for several months. It makes me wonder if this is not another indicator of a possible pullback in the economy (i.e., recession.) I have weathered several recessions in my lifetime. I will not weather another. I have moved all of my investments to recession-proof areas. I would not have done that if I were younger; and in fact, I did not do that either through ignorance or optimism when I was younger. What is going to happen to the global economy? I wish I knew. I only know that there are many disrupters affecting the economy today. Do your best to maintain and, hopefully, improve your position today.

No comments:

Post a Comment