Saturday, November 23, 2019

It is a beautiful day in the neighborhood.


Remember Mr. Rogers? I remember my children watching him. If you are too young to remember him, see the movie with Tom Hanks playing Fred Rogers. We need more kind people. We need people to be supportive of others. We need people to tell others, “yes, you can.” We need people that can work with others even though they don’t agree on some issues.  Yes, that is a strange word called compromise. It hardly seems to exist in this country anymore. (Although the House Judiciary Committee voted two to one in favor of decriminalizing marijuana at the Federal level.) Syracuse University has been in the news because of the hate that exists on campus. Racial epithets, swasticas, religious hate make the students feel afraid. Yesterday morning on my way to Max Donuts, I passed a house that had three flagpoles in the front yard. One had an American Flag. One had a Texas Flag. One had a white supremacist flag. I would not have recognized it if I had not seen it on the news about several white supremacist rallies, or was it during one of the president’s rallies. I live in Texas, which is a very conservative state. Still, it was startling to see such a blatant and public demonstration of a desire to discriminate.

No comments:

Post a Comment