Monday, April 6, 2020

Living together and working from home.


Most of us are finding a new normal, working from home. We are spending more time with our loved ones than we have maybe ever. We spent time together on weekends, but that is only two days out of seven days every week. Now we are together all seven days and into the start of our fourth week. Sometimes, the little things that the others in our home begin to bug us. The other day, my wife said, ”you have been here for almost three weeks, and you haven’t unpacked. Are you staying ready for a quick escape?” I did not know that my living out of a suitcase was bothering her. I quickly unpacked. It is not a one-way street. I went outside and came back to find myself locked out. I had forgotten her habit of locking all doors when she was inside. I used to carry my keys with me any time I went out of the house. I now remember to always keep a house key with me. When we are getting ready to go somewhere or do a task that requires both of us, she almost always says, “I will be ready in a minute.” It can be hours later when she finally shows up. She saw something that diverted her to a different project, that led to another project. Eventually, she forgot what the original project was. I now remember this and plan for it to happen. I don’t begin to get ready until she comes and says, “what’s keeping you?”

I won’t even go into the little things, like squeezing the toothpaste tube in the middle, or the no contact from 8 am until 5 pm rule, which she violates several times an hour if the office door is open. Love is taking a deep breath and leaving so much unsaid that I know would not be received well. Love, Peace, stay well, and safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment