Tuesday, March 10, 2020

Doldrums


Do you ever have a day that is just blah, like being stuck in the doldrums? That is the way my day is. I just can’t get going on anything, which is too bad. Today is a teaching day. My office hours are from 9 am to noon. I had three students stop by for assistance, which was a slight diversion. I can only read so much news, and then I really am depressed. My university has not prepared any contingency plan. They have scheduled a meeting tomorrow for the administrators to think about contingency plans. They are as well prepared for a pandemic as the Trump administration was, which is to say not at all. It is days like this that I think about ending my teaching career. Tomorrow will be better, and I have next week (Spring Break) to recover. As Yogi Berra, the great American zen philosopher, said, “It ain’t over until it's over,” and “When you come to a fork in the road, take it.”

No comments:

Post a Comment