Monday, November 24, 2014

Thanksgiving

This Thursday is Thanksgiving. In the USA there is one day set aside to give thanks. It does not seem enough. I think of my friends and family that are no longer with us, and try to give thanks every day for each day I have. We can only live in the present. We don't know if there is a future or how long we will have to accomplish our dreams. We can only work today.

I am thankful for many things: family, friends, my outstanding students, colleagues at various universities, and living in a country where I can say what I think. I am thankful that so many who have come to this country with a dream of freedom no longer have to live under the threat of deportation. I am thankful that I will not have to listen to the republicans blame the democrats for the dysfunctional congress. I expect congress to continue to be dysfunctional. I am thankful that everyone in this country has access to affordable healthcare. I am thankful for all who served this country and no longer have to go to Iraq and soon will no longer be in Afghanistan. I can only wish that prejudice would someday be eliminated; but after thousands of years of hate, it seems like an impossibility.

Have a happy and thankful Thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment